Saturday 21 February 2015

The Wedding of Florence and Billy O'Brien, October 14, 1967


Photos (and toast to the bride) by LC Gagnon



In a message coming through the exchange of the Geneva Telephone Company I have heard that people may be interested in seeing these photos.

The Technology Used Back Then

Through most of the 1960s and 1970s my father used two 'point and shoot' cameras and 'drug store' photofinishing. One camera was loaded with colour film (to produce 35 mm slides), the other with traditional black and white film for prints. In bright sunlight, one often took perfect photos. 

On overcast days or indoors, it was often necessary to use single-use glass flashbulbs. These produced the light and heat of the sun - and sometimes bits of flying glass - up to a range of five to ten feet. You can see how little light is recorded from more distant objects on the colour film.

My father didn't have Syd Drew's equipment or experience to take the most important scenes with a single exposure. However, he was very good at framing most shots and the second camera provided protection if something went wrong before the images came back from developing.


Detail on What I Have Done ..

Using his cataloguing system, I was able to find the colour slides in less time than it took me to remember how to use my slide scanner. All the colour slides are included in this post, with black and white images added if they provided more information - or variety, for key scenes.

To save space, my father's slide labelling process used very few characters along with his 'catalogue number'. A bit more detail is provided with the black and white photos which were mounted in a scribbler.

If family members (or others) elect to save these photos, they will find that performing a 'right click, save as' will automatically label the saved photo with all the information my father recorded. I have not guessed and added any information of my own.

Except for a little straightening and brightness/contrast adjustment to bring out detail I haven't fiddled with the originals. When the photo edge seems too close to the subject, I have left the original edge to show that I have not carelessly cropped the edge.






















































If my memory is correct, one of the two lower layers of the cake was composed of the cross-section of a tree trunk - appropriately iced. Uncle Stewart explained the technique and gave the wood section to us during a family visit the next day. Back in Montreal, we kept it as a souvenir of the event for at least a couple of years thereafter.